If you’re looking for a cheap yet performing computer (something better than an Intel Atom), here’s a build that will satisfy the needs of many people. This is perfect for web surfing, typing up documents and basic everyday computing. This computer is also decent enough for an entry-level HTPC computer, but you will lack storage space and HD video acceleration (for 720p/1080p). Please note that this build does not include the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers. I would suspect a lot of people have these at home already and are looking for a cheap upgrade.
- CPU: Intel Pentium G6950 Clarkdale 2.8GHZ LGA 1156 Dual-Core – 102.99$
- Motherboard: MSI H55M-E21 1156 with HDMI – 69.99$
- RAM: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR3-1333 F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS – 38.99$
- Hard Drive: Seagate 160 GB 7200 RPM SATA – 34.99$
- Video card: integrated on Intel CPU
- Optical device: LG DVD-RW 22X SATA OEM – 17.99$
- Case+PS: Linkworld 43716-128FU+P04 black/silver (steel) with 430W power supply – 28.99$
- OS: Ubuntu Desktop (currently version 10.10) or XBMC for HTPC use.
The above subtotal is 293.94$ CDN. Not bad for a budget computer. Shipping and taxes will depend where you currently live (so add an extra 50$ for an estimate).